Sometimes our publisher approvals team will decide not to approve a website. We appreciate this can be frustrating.
Broadly speaking, rejection will relate to the ease with which a publisher can monetize content on their site.
The below list outlines common reasons, but it is not exhaustive and there are others. However, these are the most frequent reasons a site will be rejected:
- Non-live sites. If a site isn’t live the team can’t assess it.
- Lack of content. If the team can’t determine the purpose of a site or the typical content of articles, they can’t determine whether it can generate any revenue through Skimlinks either.
- Sensitive content. Merchants are sensitive about where their brand appears, so will not work with certain types of publishers, including those that feature “adult” content or copyrighted / non-original content.
- Publishers without a clear commercial opportunity. If publishers only publish articles on topics with minimal opportunities for affiliate marketing (e.g. no way to write about products available online), there will be no way for Skimlinks to monetize their content.
- Audiences outside of our coverage. Though we have a global network, we have higher concentration in some regions than others, so the location of publishers is part of the approvals process.
- URLs that include certain brand and / or product names. Brand and trademark bidding is against our program policies.
- If you are a merchant. We do not work directly with merchants, but instead work with them through affiliate networks. Merchants that wish to work with us must join an affiliate network first.
- How much value a site brings to readers and merchants in our networks. If content is not original, does not bring obvious value to readers’ lives, and a site has not been designed with a good user experience in mind it is unlikely to be approved. Our publisher network has an excellent reputation and we are keen to uphold it.
These are only some of the reasons and there are others.
In the event a publisher is denied, they can re-apply at any time here and will be reviewed with fresh eyes.