Sometimes our publisher approvals team will decide not to approve a website. We appreciate this can be frustrating.
The below list outlines common reasons a site will not be approved to use Skimlinks. It is not exhaustive and there are others, but these are the most frequent reasons:
- Non-live sites: If a site isn’t live, the team can’t assess it.
- Lack of content: If the team can’t determine the purpose of a site or the typical content of articles, they can’t determine whether it can generate any revenue through Skimlinks either.
- Social media profile: We are currently unable to accept standalone YouTube channels or social media profiles as a Skimlinks Publisher. If you have a blog/website please apply with that domain and you can then use our URL Shortener to monetize your YouTube channel and social media content.
- If you are a merchant: We do not work directly with merchants and there is no login for Skimlinks Merchants. We work with all Merchants through affiliate networks. Merchants that wish to work with Skimlinks Publishers must join an affiliate network first. You can see a list of affiliate networks we work with here.
- Sensitive content: Merchants are sensitive about where their brand appears, so will not work with certain types of publishers, including those that feature “adult” content or copyrighted / non-original content.
- No clear commercial opportunity: If publishers only publish articles on topics with minimal opportunities for affiliate marketing (e.g. no way to write about products, services available to purchase online), there will be no way for Skimlinks to monetize their content.
- Audiences outside of our coverage: Though we have a global network, we have higher concentration in some regions than others, so the location of publishers is part of the approvals process.
- URLs that include certain brand and/or product names: It is against most merchant terms to work with Publisher websites that have their brand name in the Publisher site URL. Brand and trademark bidding is also against our program policies.
- How much value a site brings to readers and merchants in our networks: If content is not original, does not bring obvious value to readers’ lives, and a site has not been designed with a good user experience in mind it is unlikely to be approved. Our publisher network has an excellent reputation and we are keen to uphold it.
In the event a publisher is denied, they can re-apply at any time here and will be reviewed with fresh eyes.